Top Twitter® Tips

by Ryan Halvorson on Oct 05, 2011

Making News

According to a 2010 report posted on the blog of the social networking site Twitter™, the organization claims 145 million registered users. The number has surely increased since 2010, and the users are not just individuals keeping their “followers” up-to-date with daily happenings; many business owners log on to market services and generate profits. “I have found Twitter to be helpful in enhancing my credentials and reputation with fitness consumers,” says Alexandra Williams, MA, IDEA author and co-creator of FunandFit.org. “They get to know my personality and level of knowledge so they trust me and my information.” But there’s more to “tweeting” than sharing thoughts or blatantly asking for business. Here are Williams’s top four tips for Twitter success:

  • Be Yourself. Be your professional self, but let your personality come through. Avoid cursing, and don’t discuss religion or politics unless doing so is related to your business model.
  • Pitch Moderately. A maximum of 30% of your tweets should be pitches to hire you or read your blog. Use the remaining 70% for putting out valuable content and interacting. This will make your followers more likely to support you when you do tweet pitches.
  • Don’t Get Follower-Happy. You will have better luck if you have a smaller group of loyal followers/friends who want to help you succeed than if you simply collect as many followers as possible.
  • Be Aware of Scope of Practice. When considering content to share (research, workout tips, nutrition info), anything within your scope of practice is good. There is so much bad information on Twitter that you will stand out if you are consistent about tweeting helpful, accurate information.

    For more tips on using Twitter to your advantage, read “Twitter Me This, Twitter Me That” in the April 2009 issue of IDEA Trainer Success.

IDEA Fitness Journal, Volume 8, Issue 10

© 2011 by IDEA Health & Fitness Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission is strictly prohibited.

About the Author

Ryan Halvorson

Ryan Halvorson IDEA Author/Presenter

Ryan Halvorson is the associate editor for IDEA Health & Fitness Association; a Performance Specialist at Bird Rock Fit; a Master Instructor for Metabolic Effect and the creator of www.RYAN'Sworkouts....

0 Comments

Trending Articles

How to Teach HIIT to Everyone

High-intensity interval training has been riding a wave of popularity, and it seems everyone wants to give it a try. However, intense interval training is nothing new. Group fitness instructors have b...

20 IDEA World-Renowned Presenters Share Advice on Success and Happiness

We asked some of this year’s most influential and motivating IDEA World Fitness Convention™ presenters to share the single piece of advice they would give another fitness/health pro to hel...

Mindful Walking

Walking can be more than just moving physically from one location to another. It can be a metaphor for your larger life journey. Things you&...

Smooth Move: Creative Additions to Consider for Smoothies

When looking for a quick breakfast or post-workout nourishment, almost nothing beats a smoothie. Whirl in the right ingredients and the blen...

Nuts and Peanuts Reduce Cardiovascular Risk and Prolong Lifespan

While there have been numerous studies in recent years touting the health benefits of nuts and peanuts, new research published online March ...

Yes, You CAN Develop Better Eating Habits

Analogous to laying out your exercise gear so it’s the first visual reminder you have of your commitment to exercise each day, imagine...

Cut Risk of Alzheimer’s with MIND Diet

Conservative adherence to a new diet, appropriately known by the acronym MIND, could significantly lower a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, according to a paper published o...

7 Ways to Help a Client Boost Adherence

Once a client has decided to make nutritional changes to support weight loss, you can play a key role in developing an action plan that is m...

Full-Body “Farmhand Fitness”

Several years ago, at the IDEA World Fitness Convention™ session, presenter Michol Dalcourt remarked that young athletes from rural ar...

Recipe for Health: Picadillo-Stuffed Peppers

If you don’t believe that authentic Mexican cookery is “whole” and healthy, you need to take a deep dive into Mexico: The Cookbook (Phaidon 2014), the first truly comprehensive bible...

Show More