Take your career—and your life—to the next level!
How daring are you? What will it take for you to risk the status quo and stretch beyond your comfort zone to create a new success story for yourself? You’ll have hundreds of opportunities to challenge yourself with brand-new programs, equipment and research, inspiring personalities, groundbreaking experts and in-depth education opportunities at the 2011 IDEA World Fitness Convention, August 11–14, in Los Angeles. This may well be the world’s most action-packed convention, bringing together 5,000 passionate fitness professionals from around the world to celebrate physical activity and share a common mission to Inspire the World to Fitness®.
IDEA World is famous around the globe for the exuberant, sensational experience it creates each year, with morning-to-night workouts, stimulating classes, hands-on training sessions, competitions and festivities, all in an electrifying, high-intensity environment that fuses music, movement, fun and camaraderie. The convention starts Thursday, August 11, with 16 intensive Premier Seminars, and an International Reception that evening, followed by 3 full days of training sessions, from 7:00 am Friday through 4:00 pm Sunday.
Here are some of this year’s highlights:
- Not many people on the planet are more inspiring than keynote speaker Apolo Ohno, the most decorated American Winter Olympian and author of Zero Regrets: Be Greater Than Yesterday (Atria 2010). Ohno was just 19 years old when he won gold and silver medals at the 2002 Winter Games. Four years later, at the 2006 Olympics, he returned to win three more short-track speed-skating medals. When he made history by earning another three medals in 2010, Ohno was 27 years old and competing as one of the oldest skaters after the most intense training regimen of his life. At 2011 IDEA World, Ohno will share the inspiring personal story behind his success and give you his secrets for achieving focus and mental toughness in every aspect of life. Read a short interview with Ohno in the sidebar “Becoming a Champion.”
- In his keynote address, Daniel Amen, MD, best-selling author of Magnificent Mind at Any Age (Three Rivers 2009) and The Amen Solution (Crowne 2011), is sure to challenge what you know about the brain-body connection. Dr. Amen is assistant clinical professor of psychiatry and human behavior at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine, and medical director of Amen Clinics Inc. in Newport Beach and Fairfield, California; Bellevue, Washington; and Reston, Virginia. Amen Clinics have the world’s largest database of functional brain scans and use a sophisticated brain-imaging study called SPECT, which has helped identify seven different types of anxiety and depression, six different types of attention deficit disorder and five different types of obesity. Dr. Amen is also the lead researcher on the world’s largest brain-imaging and rehabilitation study involving professional football players. Read a short interview with him in the sidebar “Change Your Brain, Change Your Life.”
- This year’s convention theme, “Take the Challenge,” will come to life with a unique challenge (physical, mental or inspirational) in every educational session through the weekend. Challenge medal winners will receive prizes and special recognition throughout the convention. The buzz is growing about all of the challenges!
- With a phenomenal selection of more than 300 educational sessions from the industry’s biggest names, you can create your own personal challenge with an individualized curriculum designed just for you. Beginning on Thursday, you can challenge yourself to expand your knowledge base by choosing from 16 in-depth Premier Seminars.
- Attention, personal trainers: over 50% of this year’s convention programming is designed with personal trainers in mind. The IDEA World Personal Trainer Convention™ is a collection of more than 150 sessions targeted to personal trainers and offered as a subset of the 2011 IDEA World Fitness Convention program. The IDEA World Personal Trainer Convention is part of IDEA World and brings the world’s leading education for personal trainers to the West Coast, with 4 days of in-depth sessions designed exclusively for trainers. A separate brochure is available online, detailing the personal trainer programs at the event. Personal trainers can also select from other programming categories, including group fitness, cycling, mind-body and specialty areas such as nutrition and career development.
- Three-time World Latin Dance Champion and Emmy®-nominated choreographer Louis Van Amstel, star of ABC’s Dancing With the Stars, will offer you an unforgettable chance to work out with him in a special LaBlast™ Friday night class sponsored by CRUNCH®.
- The opportunity to pay tribute to industry icon Jack LaLanne, “the godfather of fitness,” will be yours as IDEA presents the inaugural Jack LaLanne Award, which his wife, Elaine LaLanne, will accept. On receiving IDEA’s Lifetime Achievement Award at the 1986 IDEA World Fitness Convention, Jack LaLanne wowed the audience with his inspiring acceptance speech, highlighted by his signature fingertip push-ups. Famous for “LaLannisms” such as “Your waistline is your lifeline” and “It’s not what you do some of the time that counts; it’s what you do all of the time that counts,” LaLanne challenged the world to become more active, more fit and more healthy. The Jack LaLanne Award will be presented annually to an individual who has inspired the world to fitness through his or her work in the media or in the public eye as a significant role model.
- The IDEA World Fitness & Wellness Expo Hall is the industry hub of new equipment and gear, programs, personalities and trends, and this year it will be open each day of the convention and remain open until the last session. As part of the “Take the Challenge” convention theme, many companies will offer challenges in their booths to give you chances to win prizes as well as discounts on the latest products and programs. You’ll see the newest shoes, apparel, equipment and programs from over 200 companies, with special shopping hours that won’t conflict with sessions—so you’ll have plenty of time to browse and explore. You can be the first to discover what’s new in health, fitness and nutrition—and bring the news back home to your clients and classes. On the Performance Stage, you’ll find featured demos of this year’s most exciting classes and dance moves—and perhaps a celebrity or two! There’s no better place to take the pulse of the industry than the Expo Hall.
- Brand-new to the convention this year is the sizzling IDEA World Showcase Room, a large, high-energy presentation and workout space located at the JW Marriott hotel. Top-name presenters and their special guests will share their perspectives with you and deliver unique fitness experiences. “Big” music, lights and sound will set the stage for the dynamic performances that everyone will be talking about. Showcase Room presenters and speakers will include Tony Horton, Louis Van Amstel, Chalene Johnson, Rodney D. Carson (with a Marine Corps–inspired boot camp workout), Brett Hoebel (the newest trainer on The Biggest Loser, with a kickboxing/capoeria workout) and personal trainer “Top Guns” Douglas Brooks, Todd Durkin, Fraser Quelch and Peter Twist.
- On Saturday night you will dance to the sounds of one of L.A.’s hottest DJs at the IDEA World Fitness Party at the JW Marriott Hotel. This is your chance to join old friends and new over dinner and refreshments as you celebrate the winners of the IDEA World Fitness Awards.
- IDEA World lets you earn up to 20 CECs from ACE, ACSM, AFAA, BOC, NASM-CPT, NESTA, NETA, NFPT, NSCA-CPT/CSCS and W.I.T.S. When you attend the Premier Seminars, you’ll have even more CEC opportunities.
Last year’s convention attendees gave rave reviews to L.A. LIVE, the exciting entertainment, shopping, dining and sports campus conveniently set in the heart of Los Angeles. Close to the Staples Center and just steps from the sophisticated JW Marriott hotel, the easy-access, high-energy L.A. LIVE scene has become Los Angeles’s newest hot spot, with its sensational mix of sports and music venues, nightclubs, restaurants, bowling alley, movie theaters and much more. Popular spots include the GRAMMY Museum®, Nokia Plaza, The Conga Room™, Lucky Strike Lanes & Lounge, ESPN Zone, Trader Vic’s, The Farm of Beverly Hills, The ION Rooftop Pool Bar and the Ritz-Carlton spa and fitness center.
You can make L.A. LIVE your starting point for a Southern California vacation with mountain hiking, surfing, Beverly Hills shopping, sightseeing, Hollywood celebrity watching, a TV show taping, or day trips to Universal Studios, Disneyland® or Knott’s Berry Farm®. Find out more at the official L.A. tourism website, http://discoverlosangeles.com.
For detailed session descriptions, schedule and more information on the 2011 IDEA World Fitness convention, see www.ideafit.com/conference/idea-world-fitness-convention-2011.
At the 2011 IDEA World Fitness Convention, you’ll find the largest selection of fitness and wellness topics offered in the industry today, with intensive in-depth and hands-on education and training you can take back home to reinvent yourself and your career or business.
Challenge yourself to build your knowledge, skills and marketability in one or more of these fitness arenas:
- Boot Camp
- Business & Career Development
- Cardiovascular Training
- Circuit/Interval Training
- Core & Balance
- Corporate Wellness
- Corrective Exercise
- Exercise Science & Research
- Functional Training
- Group Strength
- Indoor Cycling
- Indoor Rowing
- Integrative Exercise/Fusion
- Kettlebell Training
- Latin Dance
- Management & Leadership
- Martial Arts
- Metabolic Training
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Nutrition & Metabolism
- Personal Training
- Pilates, Tai Chi & Yoga
- Program Design
- Small-Group/Partner Training
- Social Media
- Specific Populations
- Sport Conditioning
- Teaching Techniques
Here is just a small sampling of hot sessions and workouts at the convention (for more, see www.ideafit.com/conference/idea-world-fitness-convention-2011):
- Crunch® presents X-Pert Pole Fitness With the Crunch Faculty
- Equinox® Fitness Clubs presents ViPR™ Wars
- LifePower® presents LifePower® Yoga—Reach for Your Power Within
- Spectrum Athletic Clubs® presents Latinva®
- 24 Hour Fitness® presents Nike Training Club Workout with the 24 Hour Fitness Presenter Team
- Batuka® Dance—The Evolution of Movement
- The Body-Weight X-Games—Extreme Body-Weight Blast!
- Combine360—When Training Is Your Sport
- Creating a Six-Figure Boot Camp Experience
- CrossFit: Unleash the Power
- CrossFit: Defined and Determined
- Dance with GLEE!
- Drop and Give Me 20—Marine Corps–Inspired Boot Camp Workout
- Eat to Win—Enhance Performance
- Indo Boarding—Surf-Inspired Group Fitness
- Introduction to Kettlebell Basics
- Kettlebell Rehab—Hardstyle Methods in Corrective Exercise
- Kickboxing Balance Challenge
- LaBlast™ with ABC’s Dancing With the Stars’ Louis Van Amstel
- Lebert Fitness: Body-Weight Partner Training
- Les Mills’ SH’BAM™ Workout
- Perform Better: TD’s I.M.P.A.C.T. Challenge
- The Runner’s Clinic
- Social Media—Fit Biz Bootcamp
- Solving Your Clients’ Biggest Dieting Dilemmas
- Train Like an Ultimate MMA Fighter
- TRX® Superhero Workout
- Ultimate Metabolic and Calorie Burning Makeover
- Urban Challenge Boot Camp (Outdoors)
- Weighing in on The Biggest Loser
- Winning at Losing—Weight Management Made Simple
- Women, Weights and Results!