How many times have you really started to make headway on a project or report only to have a stream of interruptions break your concentration? This is frustrating but avoidable, according to Tatiana Kolovou, MBA, human resources training consultant at Indiana University and owner of Team Performance, a professional development and consulting company. During her talk on time management at IDEA’s Focus on Management Day, she suggested several strategies to eliminate some common time wasters from your day:
- Be firm with others about your time.
- Respond by voice mail instead of e-mail. It's faster.
- Screen e-mails or use an e-mail filter.
- Schedule callback times.
- Schedule employee meeting times.
- Have a quiet hour. Close your door and hang up a "Do Not Disturb" sign.
- Practice verbal communication.
- Keep a 5-day time log and identify your time management barriers.