Knowing that in 60 days we will be at the 2012 IDEA World Fitness Convention™ (July 5–8 in San Diego) with you celebrating three decades as an association and charting our course for the future is hugely exhilarating—but also a bit daunting. For us, the daunt factor is the realization that 30 years have passed since we founded IDEA, and we’re not sure where they went! The 60 days part is manageable—it’s an annual pre-event adrenaline drill that the IDEA Tribe uses to ramp up as the event approaches. We’re going to be fired up and ready for action; the question is—are you?
As you’ve seen in the IDEA World brochure and various preview articles, this year’s theme is about being the transformation catalyst in your clients’ lives. This event is a great leaping-off point toward creating such change.
Fitness has evolved in ways we couldn’t have imagined when IDEA was founded, and it’s likely to change even more dramatically in the years ahead. Do you know where you will fit in?
Beside providing more than 300 sessions taught by today’s finest fitness educators, IDEA World will give you other chances to freshen your perspective and broaden your skills and career opportunities. Here is a broad snapshot:
- Be on hand at the event’s Opening Ceremonies to watch screen legend and fitness icon Jane Fonda accept the IDEA Jack LaLanne Award, given to inspiring role models who have increased awareness of healthy living through the media. Fonda has been a passionate visionary and prominent spokesperson for health and fitness for more than three decades, and she continues to be a physical, mental and spiritual role model for millions.
- Also during the Opening Ceremonies, get inspired by The Biggest Loser champ Tara Costa. Weighing more than 300 pounds at her heaviest and struggling to manage stress, Costa turned her life around by entering season 7 of the hit show, during which she shed 155 pounds and won a record-setting eight challenges. She has now dedicated herself to promoting lifelong healthy lifestyles and positive change; she offers inspiration to others and will share her remarkable journey of transformation.
- Our third keynote speaker, Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, will talk about the food addiction revolution. She will present groundbreaking science on food addiction as well as practical detox and recovery solutions for lasting weight management. Author of The Hunger Fix: The 3-Stage Solution to Free Yourself From Overeating and Food Addictions . . . for Life (Rodale 2012), Peeke will outline her science-based holistic blueprint for mental and physical transformation and explore how the brain is fooled by the false highs of food addiction.
- Select from 12 preconference sessions featuring specialized, in-depth training in leading-edge career areas.
- Earn up to 20 CECs (more if you attend preconference sessions) from the industry’s major educational agencies.
- Find great bargains for your facility and clients when you browse the newest releases in food, fitness, fashion and gear at the IDEA World Fitness & Wellness Expo Hall. Watch live performances on the IDEA Exer-tainment Stage; participate in exhibitor challenges throughout the Expo; and enjoy special discounted pricing in the IDEA Apparel area.
- Learn about the latest in food, nutrition and cooking in IDEA’s all-new Nutrition Pavilion, which will feature educational workshops, food sampling and live cooking demos.
- Check out the excitement in the Expo Hall Arena when IDEA invites all attendees to compete in the TRX S.T.A.R. Challenge. Bring your A-Game and get ready to have your power and strength tested. Stay tuned to learn about the awesome prizes and how you can sign up!
Early-bird pricing ends May 25, and some classes have already filled up, so put registering for IDEA World at the top of your to-do list. We are looking forward to seeing you soon, but know if you aren’t able to join us, many of the sessions will be filmed and turned into high-quality DVDs. These will be available right after the convention in our online store.
We can hardly wait to celebrate IDEA’s 30 years with you!
Yours in health,
Kathie & Peter Davis