10 Fascinating Brain Facts
Impress and amaze your friends and colleagues with these 10 fascinating “brain facts”!
1. The average brain, which weighs about 3 pounds, has approximately 100 billion neurons.
2. There are about 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the brain.
3. You continue to make new neurons throughout life as long as you use your brain in mental activities.
4. The brain uses about 20% of the total oxygen of the body at rest.
5. Excessive stress can alter brain cells, structure and function.
6. You can’t tickle yourself because the brain can distinguish between unexpected touch and your own.
7. While awake, your brain generates 10–23 watts of power—or enough energy to power a light bulb.
8. Every time you blink, the brain “kicks in” to keeps things illuminated so the world doesn’t go dark during the blink (which happens about 20,000 times a day).
9. The average number of thoughts you experience each day is about 70,000.
10. The brain is 75% water.
Source: Nursing Central Assistant.
For the latest research, statistics, sample classes, and more, "Like" IDEA on Facebook here.
© 2010 by IDEA Health & Fitness Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission is strictly prohibited.
|Extreme Interval Training
In this course you'll learn goal-focused intervals and over 50 dynamic exercises and drills to create extensive and intensive training formats.
|Cut to the Core
This is a raw, unedited video filmed live at the 2009 IDEA World Fitness Convention™. Cut to the Core is packed full of core-focused exercises that aim to improve the way you look, feel and live.
|September 2011 IDEA Fitness Journal Quiz 4: Plyometric Training
This continuing education quiz is an in-depth look at plyometric training. Plyometric exercises—jumping, bounding, hopping, arm pushing, and catching and throwing weighted objects such as machine balls—are movements that involve rapid eccentric and concentric muscle actions.