After a great week of training and eating clean, sometimes we let it all out on the weekend and undo some of those gains we have made during the week. I have been guilty of that. Now with that in mind here are 3 tips to keep you on the straight and narrow.
1. Say NO to supersize- As fast food is cheap and easy to produce, supersizing your order gets the fast food chain richer and our waist lines, well poorer.
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Saturday, February 09, 2013 @ 12:31pm
Smoke your legs and your core with this short but intense circuit.
1. Bodyweight Speed Squats 1min
2. Front plank 30 seconds.
rest 30 seconds
3. Jumping jacks or jump rope 1min
4. Side plank 30 seconds each side.
Rest 1 min and repeat 1 or 2 more times.
Enjoy. Have a great weekend.
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Friday, February 08, 2013 @ 13:28pm
Gluteus Maximus (your butt) muscles are without a doubt the most important muscles in sports and can fill out a pair of jeans quite nicely. We spend our lives sitting of them but without them we would be dragging our hands on the ground. They are important for balance and strength throughout our entire body. Here are my... top 3 glute exercises.
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Thursday, February 07, 2013 @ 12:13pm
There are 3 different types on muscle contractions
1. Concentric- which is the muscle shortening. Like the press up in the bench press.
2. Eccentric- Muscle lengthing. Like the lowering phase in a bench press.
3. Isome...tric- muscle produces force but no movement. Think wall squat or any plank variation.
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Tuesday, February 05, 2013 @ 10:35am
HIIT involves alternating brief bouts of cardio ( 30 sec - 3 min) of high intensity with a rest or a recovery period. Anything can be used from a treadmill, bodyweight, bike to a rowing machine. Now this is not just for the super fit. Anyone can do this if you follow these 3 guidelines.
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Monday, February 04, 2013 @ 14:29pm
1. IMPROVE YOUR SLEEP- Your body produces IGF-1 or human growth hormone while you are sleeping. Helping you body gain muscle and lose fat. If you cut short that process by getting less that 7-8 hours sleep a night, you short circuit that process and hinder your recovery.
2. TAKE A HOT SHOWER BEFORE BED- The goal here is to help you unwind before bed and get a better nights sleep.
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Saturday, February 02, 2013 @ 12:13pm
1. 6 reps Prisoner Squat ( Place hands behing ears with upper arms parallel to the ground and go into a full squat)
2. 6 pushups
3. 6 Prisoner forward lunges- alternating. 6 on each leg
Do has a circuit. Go has quickly has you can for 5 min. Record how many rounds you did and beat it next time. Have a great weekend!
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Friday, February 01, 2013 @ 11:14am
Here are 3 simple tests you can do at home to see where your balance is at.
1. Sit to stand.
Stand up from a seated position. Try not to use your hands for support
Poor- Need minimal assistance to stand and balance.
Good- Able to stand by yourself by using your hands
Excellent- Able to stand with no assistance and stand independently
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Thursday, January 31, 2013 @ 13:36pm
1. EATING JUNK FOOD HELPS YOUR STRESS- Your stressed out sitting on your sofa with a big tub of chocolate fudge ice cream. That momment maybe comforting but ccording to a British Journal of Psychiatry found that people who ate highly processed food were 58% more likely to be depressed than those who eat the least. Try a healthlier snack like beef jerky.
Posted by Shane Mclean @ Wednesday, January 30, 2013 @ 14:30pm