Excuses Why People Don't Workout!
I just did a press release today about Excuses people use for not working out. I actually had to cut the list down, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people have told you. Since we are always giving Fitness Tips, this is a great way to look back and see what people say to get out of working out. What excuses would you add to the list that I made:
1. I don't have any time. (although I do have time to get a massage, manicure, facial, carwash, teeth whitening, etc etc)
2. The gym is too far from my house and it would take too long to get there.
3. I don't like to sweat.
4. I can't find any classes that are convenient with my schedule. (see #1)
5. My shoes gave me a blister.
6. My babysitter can't give me any more time. (see #1)
7. I hate working out in the morning.
8. I hate working out in the evening.
9. When I get home after work I have a glass of wine and then don't feel like working out.
10. I don't know how.
and this was actually said to me this week: "I tend to really work out hard, and go overboard, and get really sore. I hate being sore, so I just don't work out."
And why is it that the first thing someone says to you when they find out you are a personal trainer is: I really should work out more.
The man in the wheelchair and the other guy recovering from a stroke. My hat goes off to both those men! I can't imagine the time it takes for these guys to prepare their day just to be able to come in and train and they do it three times a week! I love it.....much respect!
So any of those 10 excuses gets put to rest extremely fast.
#2 Tried it for awhile and didn't see much difference, so why continue?
#3 Most of my friends don't exercise, so why should I?
#4 My doctor didn't say that I need to exercise
#5 Embarrased to be around others in "GREAT" shape
What really tickles me when I get that look of "I am not exercising, and what are you gonna do about it?" Initially, I engaged in conversations, but after I got into lengthy "yes, but" debates which lead to nowhere, I now just smile and tell people that they can conduct their lives any way they please.
2) other competing demands
(off the top of my head)
This is what I have heard.
1. I don't like gyms.
2. I've worked hard all my life. The thought of "exercise" is repulsive."
3. My husband doesn't like me going to gyms.
4. My religion doesn't permit me to be around men.
Thanks for your question.
Every now and then somebody will make the mistake of telling me they don't have the time. REALLY?!?! no time huh? Up until 2 months ago I worked 40 hours per week fitness testing the Air Force, trained on the side, was in the middle of completing 3 certifications, going to school full time(12 credits), and I have 3 kids at home 6 months, 9yrs, and 17yrs old. Yes I do have a wonderful woman that shares the responsibility, but she also goes to school full time and is a professional photographer.
Did I mention that I haven't missed 1 workout in I don't know how many months or even in the last year.
I don't accept excuses!
The reason that people make excuses very simple.They didn't found for yourselves which way to exercise fit for them.But when they figure out the most appropriate pattern - You really cann't stop them!With regards,Miroslava.
Gets Redundant doesn't it?
Thanks for all of the posts!
Have a great week!
I can see where some folks nowadays can't afford a personal trainer, a gym membership or home equipment but they can afford to MOVE more!
Walking or running around the neighborhood is completely free and even ExerciseTV lets you stream free exercise videos online.
Tightening your budget doesn't mean you have to go flabby!
And as I always say, "when there's a will, there's a way"
"Hi Mary, I'm so sorry... but I am unable to work out today. I fell out of a plum tree while I was picking plums and I am very sore. "
Another client texted me with photos of her house almost burning down a few days before Christmas because of her Christmas lights.
These were my best excuses of the year.
1) too busy (work or family);
2) lack of transportation to get to and from the gym;
3) no baby sistter;
4) back pain;
5) knee pain;
7) lack of finances;
8) lack of motivation;
9) not disciplined enough; and the chart topper
10) I just got my hair done and don't want to mess it up (this is very common among African-American women).
Working too much
Running late (why show up then?)
Was out late last night
My kid couldn't dress its self
When I was in High School I was in excellent shape (used to be)
...the list goes on and on!